SclerotherapyLeg Vein Removal Treatment for Unsightly Varicose Veins
- What is Sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is a procedure commonly used to treat reticular and spider veins. Extremely fine needles are used to inject your vein with a solution called sotradecol which will irritate the vein lining and cause the vein to close making it disappear.
- How will I be evaluated for reticular and spider vein treatment?
We welcome you for a complimentary consultation to assess your leg veins and make sure you are an excellent candidate for successful treatments. We will check your leg veins with a Doppler ultrasound and give you information on where to buy your compression stockings that need to be worn immediately after treatment for one week. These compression stockings can be purchased from www.amazon.com, search JOBST thigh highs 15-20mmhg, choose your size by measuring the width of your calf and thigh. You are not a candidate for sclerotherapy if you have had the following: Blood clots in the legs, Deep vein thrombosis (DVT), Leg or ankle ulcers, varicose veins, asthma, severe allergies, pregnant or nursing.
- How many sessions will I need?
The number of sclerotherapy treatments needed to remove the vein varies from patient to patient, depending on the extent of the problem. Treatment sessions performed at four to six week intervals achieve optimal results. We utilize a special instrument known as a vein light that allows us to see the veins (known as reticular veins) that feed the spider veins. By injecting reticular veins we provide a better result.
- What will the day of sclerotherapy treatment be like?
The procedure lasts 30mins. The cost is $300 per session. Once you are comfortable on the examination table the nurse will use one hand to stretch the skin of the area taut while injecting the sclerosing agent into the affected veins with the guidance of a vein light.
- When can I pursue normal activities again?
You will be given post care information after each session outlining to avoid strenuous activities for 24-48hrs, apply compression hose immediately following treatment, sleep in them 1 night and wear them daily for 1 week. Avoid prolonged heat exposure such as sauna, spa, tanning beds etc. Expect veins to look worse before looking better in approximately 4-6 weeks.
- What are the possible side effects?
Bruising may appear at the injection site and usually disappears by 4 weeks. The treated veins may become darker, which usually fades in 2 to 4 weeks. Trapped blood occasionally occurs with a small pocket of bllod reamining as a dark blue clot. This can be removed with asmall needle puncture within 2 to 4 weeks. In less that 1% of patients a small blister and ulceration may occur at the injection site. This usually heals within 8 weeks.
Sclerotherapy does not “cure” spider veins. It treats the symptoms, but does not cure the fundamental problem that led to the changes in the veins. In the future, new veins will emerge and will need to be treated.
Most patients are very pleased with the results of sclerotherapy. The skin of the legs will appear younger, clearer, and healthier.
Pre Treatment Instructions
- No creams or lotions on your legs the night before or the day of treatment
- Do not shave your legs the day of treatment.
- Bring loose fitting shorts to wear during treatment.
- Buy 15-20mm hg high compression stockings from amazon.com. Bring you with the day of your treatment.
- Shower prior to the treatment, as you will need to wear the compression stockings over night.
- Plan to walk 30 minutes immediately following the treatment.
- No ibuprofen or aspirin products the week before the treatment.
Post Treatment Instructions
- Walk for 20-30 minutes immediately following the treatment and daily.
- Apply thigh high compression hose 15-20mm hg immediately following the treatment, sleep in them 1 night and wear daily for 1 week or as directed.
- Avoid prolonged heat exposure (hot tubs, tanning beds, steam rooms etc) running or jogging, high impact aerobics, longer period of sitting or standing still for 1 week.
- Expect veins to look worse before looking better in approximately 4 weeks.
- JUVÉDERM®Ultra Plus
- Enhanced Oxygen Facials
- Silk Peel® / Microdermabrasion
- Chemical Peels
- Medical Grade Facials
- Acne Therapy
- Rosacea Therapy